I feel like I kind of tricked the nurses into letting me have a baby that day. Instead of going to Circle of Life to be monitored I put my mask on and went straight to labor and delivery. I might have pretended like I didn't know I was supposed to be sent there by the clinic... I also might have exaggerated the blood thing and told them that I was really nervous about it. They decided that since I was there anyways, they would go ahead and check me. They put me in a small room, put a new IV in my arm for some fluids, and monitored the baby for a little while. Everything was fine, but the contractions were STILL only happening about every 8-10 minutes. The nurse told me she hadn't been able to get ahold of Robin, so she just kept monitoring me and baby. She asked if I'd like a drink or something while I waited and I told her that I would LOVE one, but explained my situation and how I had been hydrated through an IV for the past several months. She came back and told me that she still couldn't get ahold of Robin, but she had made an executive decision and would NOT be sending me home! WOOHOO!!! She checked me and was surprised to see that I was almost at a 6. She said, "We can get this baby here by lunchtime!" and arranged for me to be moved to a different room.
I called Russell, my mom, and Krys so they could figure out what to do to come be with me. Russell had to figure out who could come be with the kids. Our plan was for his mom to come, but she tested positive for covid just two days before that so we were scrambling to find help. Blaine was on his way, but Erik headed over too since he lives so much closer. As Russell was leaving he found that our new freezer in the garage had been left a little bit opened the night before (it was Ryan....he just "wanted to see what was in there." Stinker!) We had just purchased a half a beef and the meat was starting to thaw. The freezer was not working! Russell obviously had to deal with that.
The clock in my room was super wacky, so I didn't really know what time it was the whole time I was there..... Once we were all there and we were ready to get things moving, we had to wait a while longer for the guy to come in and give me an epidural. He finally did, then they broke my water. Before I knew it, I was at a 10 and ready to push! They told me to wait....Robin came in, got some gloves on, and said, "Look at that, you're crowning!" I pushed and she slowed me down for the next push. Only 2.5 pushes and my little dude was here! He introduced himself by sticking his nasty little hand right in my mouth when we first met. Yuck! 😂 Robin was in the room for under 5 minutes. No tears, no stitches, just a whole lot of joy! Just in time too--4:41 PM, only 19 minutes before Robin was off work for the day and heading to Florida! What a relief!
At the hospital they measured him to be 6 lbs, 11.5 oz and 20 inches long but at his 3 day check up he was only 18.75 inches long, so who really knows?!
Because of covid visitor rules were a lot different than usual. I was actually supposed to wear a mask during delivery, but luckily they didn't enforce it. Everyone else had to still, but I didn't. That would have been rough! I could only have two visitors at a time besides Russell, so that was different too. We didn't get a new family snapshot in the hospital like we did when all the other kids were born because they had to come meet baby Jackson one at a time.
Now, picture overload!


No comments:
Post a Comment